Rookie Mistake: Trim Color

      I surely spent hours and hours researching wall colors for the house. I think I must have put up 50 color samples on the walls. I had paint mixing parties (party of one that is) creating all these custom colors. I wanted to make sure I would not pick a color I would regret. I feel like I accomplished that!  I love the classic gray on the walls. It's so soft and versatile. I love the rarified air that I picked after trying so many other colors. It looks fresh and crisp! The aegean teal that I picked for my door is BEAUTIFUL! I can't believe how stunning that color came out. The Iced Slate in the mud room is also great. I don't love love that one as much as the other colors, but I like that it's more daring in a room that I feel you can be daring in. I really love everything about colors....except my trim color. 
       I didn't put hardly any time into looking for a white for my trim. I thought.... what can go wrong?! When the painter asked what trim color I wanted I had just been seeing "Simply white on almost all the BEST WHITE blog recommendations. It was also the trim color of the room that was my inspiration picture. It was also the benjamin moore Color of the Year in 2016. I didn't think I could go wrong.  So, when the painter recommended I do "white" when I asked him what white trim colors were popular, I just thought he was giving me such a typical guy answer. In my brain he clearly didn't realize how many shades of white there was. I should have just listened to him! ***By the way, the bookcases do not that the doors on them yet. That's why the heights of the shelves are all weird. There will be doors on the bottom half***
After - High Reflective White
Before (it looked a lot yellow than this)
     The simple white looks pretty great in most of the rooms. It's definitely a soft white with yellow undertones. The color looks fine everywhere EXCEPT in the great room .The light in the room made the white look SOOO yellow. My heart started racing every time I looked at it. I needed opinions. I brought Jake....aka the person that would probably care less, and even he thought it was a little on the yellow side. We decided we needed to paint in stat before flooring went in. We got some really good paint for trim and such and started painting Saturday night. Dang. Painting something with detail like a mantel is a PAIN! We didn't even know how we were gonna paint the 16 ft high ship lap. I finally just texted the painted and asked how much it would cost to repaint. It was only a few hundred dollars which is what we would have spent on supplies alone. This morning they came back and painted it. It looks so much better!  
      My rookie mistake was.... I didn't buy the trim color. I didn't put it in my walls. I didn't check it out at different times of the day. I didn't put it up again the wall colors. I got so wrapped up in the wall color. Lesson learned! So go and buy those paint samples! They are only $4 for a quart at sherwin williams when they are running a sale, which is almost always. Walmart they are about $3. It makes a world of different to get that color on your wall and see for yourself!!!

  

Comments

  1. It makes a world of different to get that color on your wall and see for yourself, Shoe Rack NZ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts